This is a breakdown of what we did:
Friday – get into Zihuatanejo. We sat by the infinity pool, had a couple of drinks, and enjoyed the warmth of Mexico.
Saturday – we laid out by our hotel for several hours and then walked into town. We had lunch, did a little bit of touristy shopping, and did what we could not to get lost.
Sunday – I ate something bad at the hotel during dinner. FOOD POISONING.
Monday – Will – laid out by the pool. Casey – stayed in bed and recovered.
Tuesday – we went snorkeling with Hector (the old Mexican guy in the pics). He went into the ocean with us leading us around. Throughout the snorkeling adventure, Hector dove and picked up three different kinds of blowfish, brought them to the surface, and let Will and me hold them. It was amazing.
Wednesday – we went to Ixtapa (a 3-5 minute drive). Ixtapa was a town created by the government 20 years ago specifically for tourism. As soon as Will and I arrived, we hated it. We missed the authenticity of Zihuatanejo. Ixtapa had major high rise hotels, chain shopping, and Senor Frogs (bluck). The reason why we went was because it was the first day of the 7th annual Guitar Festival. It was definitely worth going to Ixtapa. Of course, I wished my nephew, Steven, was there to watch the incredible talent on stage. Will even found time to show off his flip flop bottle opener to our table neighbors.
Thursday – we went deep sea fishing. Hector, once again, took us. During snorkeling he mentioned how we would be going to fish for sailfish, I thought he said shellfish. I was thinking, “cool…lobster, shrimp, etc.” We left at 7:00 am (not very vacation-like) and off we went. Carlos, Hector’s nephew, came with us. Carlos put 5 stationary rods anchored to the boat. While we were waiting we saw many turtles, dolphins, random birds chilling out in the ocean. Carlos saw one rod moving and Will was on top of it. I jumped up taking pictures, especially of his facial expressions…hilarious. Then the novelty ended, I ended up sitting back down. It took Will 30 minutes to reel in the fish. Then when Carlos brought him on board he told me to get in the picture. As you can tell with my facial expressions, all I wanted was to not have my hands touch that fish. We did release him back in the ocean. The red flag was displayed on our boat because we were successful in our fishing venture.
Thursday evening we went down the street to day 2 of the Guitar Festival. We ate dinner afterwards at one of our favorite restaurants, Il Mare. It was funny because of the only light being candlelit, you had to use flashlights to read the menu or sign the check.
Friday – we had to leave. We were so sad. The worst feeling was when we had to put our jeans back on. My stomach was in knots because we were leaving. However, the adventure didn’t end there. We arrived in Seattle at 11:00 p.m. The Admirals Club was closed from 10:30-5:00 a.m. (Will had bought 2 day passes for us to crash there until our 5:30 a.m. flight). After a few attempts to sleep, Will and I decided to get some coffee/tea and just stay up (hence the tired pics at the end).
Saturday morning – we remembered how beautiful Alaska was on the flight home and were able to capture a few of the breathtaking moments. When we got home our heater was broke and we walked in to a 43 degree’d home. Needless to say, when it finally got fixed Sunday night we really truly missed Mexico.
I would highly recommend vacationing in Zihuatanejo. It is mildly touristy, but you still feel that authenticity and have a wonderful Mexican experience.
I’m still trying to pin Will down for an Ireland vacation one of these days…
Up and coming… Angela will be visiting us in May.
Until next time…
Oh Case! I'm so super happy it was a successful and fun trip (minus the food poisoning :( boo). You might have sold me on a Mexican adventure. But not before an Alaskan one! Seeing your two gorgeous faces makes me miss you even more. All my love,
ReplyDeleteC'mon then. Alaska, the dogs, us, and the cat are all waiting! :)
ReplyDelete